Saturday, March 14, 2009

15 minutes play + interesting for Dr Edwin = Shakespeare!

You feel eager to know why I wrote that equation for my topic? Can you imagine when you become a student in 2nd year degree in Chemical Industry and your assignment for that semester is you need to come out with a great formula such as nuclear formula? That was sort of the situation I been through.

My first assignment for this subject was I need to write a 15 minutes play and if I want to get a good mark it must be interesting. Interesting for whom? Not for you for sure. It must be interesting for Dr Edwin. You think it was easy? No! For me in Literature he can be compare with Roald Dahl. You should meet him. Not outside the class because he will be nice but you need to follow his lesson. He is a strict but indeed a great lecturer. He wants the best from his students and to do so he will squeeze everything out from you. Hey stop! Am I talking bad about him? No! Please don’t think that way. It was a compliment plus a little bit of complaint to myself. So back to business.

When I knew that I need to write a play I thought it was easy because I can write any kind of story when I was in a mood (I can’t guarantee you it going to be a good story). The assignment can be in a group of three, pair or individual. I choose to do it alone because I don’t really like when people edit my work and the story change totally. It can only be done if my group full with people that has a crazy idea but most of them already has their own group so I thought it was okay for me.

I was right when I said it going to be easy because I managed to find my mood to write a play but the difficult part was when I need to submit my draft to Dr Edwin. I was anxious that he will reject my story and found it boring. Thank god he didn’t think so. The only thing he commented me was I need to rewrite later part of my play. After I discussed it with my friends they said the ending was too quick and simple and “some of my dialogue sounds stiff” (This was a comment from Dr Edwin’s tutor, Mr Harold, Thank you sir for your guidance!)

Then I edited the story and made it longer but I hope it still a 15minutes play not 15minutes and 5 seconds. After I done it I gave it to my friend to help me to check my grammar. Yes I admit my grammar is not very good and I’m still learning so don’t put your expectation too high on me.

Finally I managed to complete my play that I reflected from the youngsters nowadays. The process was fun and sometimes it can be full of tense. I wrote the story for tertiary level because the story has some word and part that was not suitable for secondary student. More like story for 18years and above. It was about a man that has a perfect life and very good with his social life until he ignore the common sense of human. He will learn his mistake when something happen in his life. For me it was an interesting story but I didn’t manage to get interesting from Dr Edwin. It is okay for me because I felt satisfied with my play but I really admire some of my friend who got interesting comment from him. Their story was so nice and creative. Maybe they can be compare to Shakespeare one day? Who knows. Good luck guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment