Saturday, March 14, 2009

Good teachercreative set induction.

In this semester our class needs to do microteaching for our assignment (Don’t you think we have a lot of assignment? Please tell me you think so). Last semester my group already done microteaching for the subject Teaching Of Short Stories and it was sucks because of Dr Edwin’s tutor who I really don’t want to mention in this blog really gave us trouble with his confusion teaching. Luckily this semester we got Mr Harold who was quite interesting even though sometimes can be very moody. Oopppsss!! Sorry!! My badmouth never know his limit. No insurance at all.

This semester we need to do microteaching on drama so we need to choose any drama that we had learned or from the book ‘Now Read On’ and teach the story to our own classmate. My classmate will be my student, teacher and my evaluator. Hahaha. It was funny I think because I can see how my friends going to teach their student in future. One thing I knew for sure, some of my friends were like having two characters in themselves, one as teacher and one as normal human being. It really amazed me at first but now I can cope with it.

One thing I learned from my previous lecturer was if we want to attract student’s attention and activate their schemata we need to prepare a creative set induction. Therefore as the first part of this assignment we need to present our microteaching in tutorial class which being conducted by Mr Harold. I choose a play which I haven’t learn yet because I think it is going to be challenging for me (after sometimes I think I was an idiot because it going to be tough for me to analyze the story by myself).

Dance Like A Man by Mahesh Dattani was a play which I chose for my microteaching. Why I chose that play? Because of the word ‘Dance’ really attracted me to explore the story. I love dance and I thought the story must be about dancing. So for my set induction I prepared a movie clip from ‘Step Up 2’ and showed it to my class.
The movie was really cool and I love the story.

Then I asked some of simple question for my classmate that later I can relate with my pre and while reading activities. They gave a very good response but Mr Harold corrected me because one of my questions sounds stereotype. It sounds like this “Do you think the girl in the movie clip looks like a prostitute?” Thanks to him I realized my mistake and know what I should do in future, more careful in constructing questions.

Well at least I managed to attract my classmate’s attention and they love the movie clip. This microteaching really helps me in preparing myself to become a teacher in the future because by doing so I can practice my teaching skills and discover what I should and shouldn’t do in teaching. Something that I realized in teaching was if you want to be a good teacher that can attract your student you need to come out with a creative set induction because it was the early part of teaching. Don’t you think so teacher?

1 comment:

  1. salam, i'm also a teacher trainee. just want to ask you, apart from movie clip, what are the other materials that is suitable to be used as a set induction?

    ReplyDelete